Notes and References
1. Maryland Patnets ABH:276, Maryland Archives. (hereafter cited as Patent 1652/53,
2. Richard Hall was one of the executors of the estate of Thomas Cox in 1676. (per MCW v.1
p. 170) His own will was written in 1687 and probated in 1688; he was a Quaker (per MCW v. 2 p. 32)
3. George Lingan was the other executor of the estate of Thomas Cox in 1676. When George
died in 1708, his legatees were Edward Boteler and Henry Boteler. His daughter had married Henry Boteler per the latter's will in 1713.
4. In the accounting dated 7 Nov 1676, Mr. Cole was noted as legatee. The witnesses to the
will included Geo: Cole and Henry Cole. Perhaps these were his nephews.
5. He died prior to 17 Dec 1685, at which date his widow was granted letters of
6. Richard Bowen of Calvert Co died by 11 Apr 1707, when his widow Mary Bowen presented the
inventory [Prerog Ct 26.245 abstract]
7. Patent 1652/53, Henry Cox.
8. Maryland Patents 4:21, Maryland Archives. (hereafter cited as Patents, Paul Bucey
9. Donald L. Wilson, "The Bussey (Busey) Families of Maryland part 2: Descendants of Paul
Busey," Prince George's County Genealogical Society Bulletin vol. 11 and 12 (May 1980, Oct 1980, Apr 1981): pp 97-100; pp. 18-21;
pp. 74-77 (hereafter cited as Wilson, Donald L., Busey Family).
10. Archives of Maryland LI Proceedings of the Court of Chancery of Maryland 1669-1679
Court Series (5), ed. J. H. Pleasants, pub. Maryland Historical Society 1934, p. 43.
11. Elise Greenup Jourdan, Early Families of Southern Maryland, vol. 1. (Family
Line Publications), p. 47 "~Joshua Cecil (16__-1717)"~ (hereafter cited as Joudan, Early Fams of So MD).
12. Ibid., p. 49.
13. Ibid., p. 50.
14. Ibid., p. 50.
15. Ibid., p. 50.
16. Ibid., p. 51.
17. Ibid., p. 51.
18. Ibid., p. 52.
19. Ibid., p. 52.
20. Ibid., p. 144.
21. Ibid., p. 145.
22. His will was dated 24 Sept 1718 and probated on 1 November 1718.
23. Per Richard D. Prall, Ralph Crabb died 1734; his wife was Priscilla Sprigg, daughter
of Col.Thomas Sprigg. He knows of no blood connection to the Busey family
24. Jos. H. Smith & Philip A., Croul., American Legal Records vol. 6: Court Records of
Prince George's Co, Md 1696-1699 (1964), pp. 10-11 (hereafter cited as Smith & Croul, PG Co MD Court Records).
25. Eva Murrell Harmison and Emma M. Rouse, "Ancestry and Descendants of Mathew Busey of
Maryland, North Carolina and Kentucky," Bulletin of the Detroit Society for Genealogical Research vol. 21 (Fall 1957, Winter 1957,
Spring 1958, Summer 1958): pp. 5-11, 55-62, 109-115, 153-160 (hereafter cited as Harmison & Rouse, Mathew Busey Desc).
26. Smith & Croul, PG Co MD Court Records, pp. 344, 359.
27. Ibid., p. 417.
28. Ibid., p. 458.
29. Ibid., p. 496.
30. Land Office Patents, MSA #54: Maryland State Archives, Annapolis, MD, (hereafter
cited as Land Office Patents).
31. Wilson, Donald L., Busey Family.
32. Land Office Patents.
33. Note that Isaac Cecell was a son of Joshua Cecill and his first wife.
34. His will was dated 29 May and probated 23 June 1731.
35. Wilson, Donald L., Busey Family.
37. Per the baptismal record.
38. Wilson, Donald L., Busey Family.
41. "Colonial Militia 1740, 1748," Maryland Historical Magazine vol VI (March
1911 #1): Prince George's County, MD, p. 56 (hereafter cited as Maryland Hist Mag, Colonial Militia).
42. Wilson, Donald L., Busey Family.
43. His will was written 9 April and probated 17 June 1727.
44. Daniel Brown, Maryland Calendar of Wills 6:173, (hereafter cited as Will of Daniel
45. Smith & Croul, PG Co MD Court Records, p. 491.
46. Paul Busey, Maryland Calendar of Wills 4:194, (hereafter cited as Will of Paul Busey
47. Wilson, Donald L., Busey Family.
48. Note that in Apr 1660, Phillip Calvert of St. Mary's Co conveyed 1000 acres of
"Mount Calvert" to William Groome. This Wm Groome left the land to his son William who was to grant 500 acres to his younger brother
49. Joudan, Early Fams of So MD, p. 144.
50. Land Office Patents.
51. Charles Busie, Maryland Calendar of Wills 6:27, (hereafter cited as Will of Charles
52. Wilson, Donald L., Busey Family.
53. The estate of Richard Randle, of Anne Arundel Co, shows Luraner Weedin and Doroty
Whood as next of kin for the inventory recorded in 1745. [Prerog Ct 32.177 abstract] The Richard Randall estate made a payment to Morgan
Jones in 1745 [Prerog Ct 23.65] Richard Randall had 5 children: Mary (of age in 1750), Richard, Sippora, Nathaniel and Jane. [Prerog Ct
28.235 abstract] William Thornbury died in 1750, leaving wife Catharine, cousin William Vernon (under 18), sons-in-law William Scrivener and
John Car, daughters-in-law Elizabeth Scrivener and Levicy Car. The witnesses were Ephraim Gover (Quaker) and James Pickering. [Md Calendar
of Wills vol. 10, p. 88] The will of (nfn) Fodory of Calvert Co, named sister Catherine Thornbury and gave bequests to Ann and Elizabeth
Vernon. Two of the witnesses were John Carr and Ephraim Gover. Will made 1755, probated 1762. [Md Calendar of Wills vol. 12 p. 156]
54. Maryland Hist Mag, Colonial Militia.
56. Wilson, Donald L., Busey Family.
57. Land Office Patents.
58. . 1783 Tax List of Maryland Part 1, 1783 Tax List of Calvert County, Maryland, by B.
Carothers 1977, p. 167
59. Joudan, Early Fams of So MD, p. 203.
60. Ibid., p. 197.
61. Ibid., vol. 2, p. 72.
62. Ibid., p. 192.
63. Ibid., p. 197.
64. Ibid., vol. 2 p. 201.
65. Maryland Hist Mag, Colonial Militia.
66. Wilson, Donald L., Busey Family.
69. Maryland Hist Mag, Colonial Militia.
70. Miss Effie L. Henry was #85178 in the Daughters of the American Revolution based upon
her descent from both Joshua and his son John. Her application was submitted in 1920.
71. This marriage occurred between 25 Jun 1746, when an account was entered in the Edward
Jones estate naming Elianor Jones as his administrix, and 27 Aug 1747. when Joshua Busey executed the guardian bond for the orphans of
72. PG County MD Guardian Bonds MdHR 9807-1 p. 159
73. Maryland Hist Mag, Colonial Militia.
74. G. M. Brunbaugh., Revolutionary Records of Maryland (1924), p. 7 (hereafter
cited as Brumbaugh, Revolutionary Recs of MD).
75. Wilson, Donald L., Busey Family.
76. Malloy, Sween, Manuel., Abstracts of Wills, Montgomery County, Maryland
1776-1825 (c 1977), (hereafter cited as Malloy, Abstracts Mont Co Wills).
78. Harmison & Rouse, Mathew Busey Desc.
79. Wilson, Donald L., Busey Family.
83. photocopy of the will and inventory provided by Karin Rice
84. M.G. Malloy, J.C. Sween & J.D. Manuel., Abstracts of Wills, Montgomery Co, MD
1776-1825 (1977), p. 128: will of Basil Soaper, Sr. LO f159, dtd 28 Feb 1825, L3 p. 274 probated 30 Apr 1825. (hereafter cited as
Malloy, Sween & Manuel, Montgomery Co, MD wills).
85. Ibid., p. 66: will of Samuel Hobbs, Sr. LE f339, dtd 7 Aug 1806 L2 p. 96, probated 1
86. "Journal of the Committee of Observation of the Middle District of Frederick County,
Maryland (Sept 12, 1775-Oct 24, 1776)," Maryland Historical Magazine Vol. XI (March 1916 #1): p. 54 (hereafter cited as Maryland
Hist Mag, Committee of Observation).
87. "Return of 33D Battalion Maryland Militia (Baskg. Ridge East New Jersey 3d March
1777). A Return of Officers & privates of part of the 33d Battalion of Maryland Militia, not yet discharged under the command of Colonel
Charles Beatty.," Maryland Historical Magazine vol. IV (Dec 1909 #4): p. 380 (hereafter cited as Maryland Hist Mag, 33rd
Battalion MD Militia).
88. Maryland Hist Mag, Committee of Observation.
89. "~Aged about 86"~ according to her obituary in the Maryland Advocate, Cumberland,
90. Wright, F. Edward, Marriages and Deaths From the Newspapers of Allegany and
Washington Counties, Maryland 1820-1830 (Family Line Publications, 1987) (hereafter cited as Allegany Co, MD, newspapers).
91. F. Edward Wrtight Marriages and Deaths from the Newspapers of Allegany and
Washington Counties, Maryland 1820-1830 (Family Line Publications, 1987) item 121, page 15 (hereafter cited as Wright, F. Edward,
News of Alleg & Wash Co, Md).
92. Dean O. Hildreth, Descendants of Wiley Mason and Nancy Busey (Beusey) and Nancy
Sims, provided to Pam Paschke July 2000 (hereafter cited as Hildreth, Dean, Wiley Mason desc).
94. Carol & Jim Garde, The Early Bethells and Thier Descendants 1635-1994 (Heart
of Lakes Publishing, Interlaken, NY, 1994), pp. 41-42 (hereafter cited as Garde, Bethell Family).
95. Ancestry database "Kentucky Marriages to 1850" John Kirkwood & Lucy Bucey
(hereafter cited as Ky Marriages to 1850, Ancestry.com).
96. Thomas J. Busey and C.B. Grimes, Ancestry and Descendants of Samule Busey of Old
Claiborne, Alabama (1965), p. 14 (hereafter cited as Busey & Grimes, Sml Busey of Old Claiborne).
97. born 12 June 1776, per Jerry Brown, Plano Texas, September 2001
98. Busey & Grimes, Sml Busey of Old Claiborne, page 9.
99. Malloy, Abstracts Mont Co Wills.
100. Effie Gwynn Bowie, Accross The Years In Prince George's County (hereafter
cited as Bowie, Across the Years).
101. Malloy, Abstracts Mont Co Wills.
103. Busey & Grimes, Sml Busey of Old Claiborne.
104. Ibid., pp. 10-11.
105. 1779-1810, Minute Books Orphan's Court, p 220. Maryland Archives, Annapolis, MD
(hereafter cited as Orphan's Court, Montgomery Co, MD).
106. Busey & Grimes, Sml Busey of Old Claiborne, p. 10.
107. Malloy, Abstracts Mont Co Wills.
108. Baptismal entry, 9 Apr 1839, "Records of St. John's Catholic Church," [Exerpted
by Montgomery Co. Historical Society, June 1982], Rockville, MD (hereafter cited as St. John's Catholic Ch, Records).
109. Harmison & Rouse, Mathew Busey Desc.
120. Kentucky Research Commission., Kentucky Cemetery Records Vol. I p.9 gives
birth and death dates, Busey Graveyard Anderson County. (hereafter cited as Ky Research Comm, Ky Cemetery Recs).
121. Harmison & Rouse, Mathew Busey Desc.
122. Ky Research Comm, Ky Cemetery Recs, p. 9 gives birth and death dates.
123. Harmison & Rouse, Mathew Busey Desc.
124. Kentucky Historical Society., Genealogies of Kentucky Families from the
Register of the Kentucky Historical Society, vol. I (1981), The John Busey Family of Anderson County, Kentucky, contributed by Mrs.
James O. Franklin, Lawrenceburg, KY, pp 112-113. (hereafter cited as Ky Hist Soc, Geneals of Ky Families).
125. Harmison & Rouse, Mathew Busey Desc.
126. Harmison and Rouse indicated death ca 1836; however he apparently is in the 1840
census in Champaign Co, IL.
127. Harmison & Rouse, Mathew Busey Desc.
135. Wilson, Donald L., Busey Family.
137. Date provided by Esther B. Anderton.
Send email to preparer: email@example.com
Return to Table of Contents or Index